Bristol, University of the West of England

1,134 Bristol, University of the West of England reviews

Our collection of real, honest student reviews of unis and courses is the largest in the UK, and help you make well-informed decisions about your future. Student reviews also form the basis of our annual Whatuni Student Choice Awards(WUSCAs), which highlight great work carried out by institutions for their students.

• Bristol, University of the West of England

Economics BA (Hons)

UWE is a good university with lot of opportunities offered whether it's academically or socially. The sports facilities are pretty good, theres just so much to do, everyone can find something that they enjoy.Lecturers are okay, some good ones and some who a intelligent people but not that great lecturers and my timetable is reasonably good. Good atmosphere at the university and lot's of diverse people to get along with.

Sociology BA (Hons)

Overall I think UWE is pretty great. There is literally so many things you can do as well as your course. The facilities are really good, there's always a quiet room I can go in to do my work and what not. The SU is fun (lots of eye candy ;) ) The whole vibe is awesome, I'm glad I chose UWE.

32440 reviews

All in all a relaxed and fun university. Bristol is a fantastic city that I don't think I'll ever want to leave. Uni can be a little confusing at first, especially the bus services getting to and from campus. The facilities are fantastic for the most part. The student union could be a little better, it feels really old and not as modern as the rest of the university. Lectures for the most part are good with the odd exception which 990is down to the lecturer rather than the material.

32440 reviews

Journalism and Public Relations BA (Hons)

The university itself has great facilities and a lot of space, the equipment and programs provided are really good too. It's a pretty big uni... Despite this it's pretty shoddy, the staff on many of my courses were hilariously self-involved or completely apathetic towards the course. Time spent in lectures and workshops is minimal despite paying £9000 each year. Modules initially sound really interesting but don't really teach much of what is said to have been taught.

32440 reviews

Games Technology BSc (Hons)

First year was great in UWE - applying for accommodation was easy, and the room I had came with an ensuite. Room was a good size but was quite pricey, although bills are included (I stayed in Brecon Court). Throughout the 3 years everyone's seemed friendly, and I've never had any major problems, everyone seems quite keen to try and help you out if they can. The facilities available were perfect for me personally, doing a Computing course all the PCs were equipped with everything we needed, and they were powerful enough to not struggle with it (great if you don't have the $$$ to fork out on a powerful PC).The nightlife in Bristol is great and pretty much caters to everyone. Not a big fan of most clubs, but Motion in the city center is everything you could want for an underground night, and Gloucester Road is great for having a couple pints. Only gripe here would be that UWE is a bit of a trek from the city center for nights out.

32440 reviews

Property Investment and Management BSc (Hons)

In my opinion, UWE is generally a good university. The accommodation facilities are generally very good but are very expensive, especially in comparison to the prices of rooms in the rest of the city. I have found the uni very good at giving advice for careers and the research is of a high level. Like most unis, I would say if you want to work then you will receive a lot of help, and if you don't put in the effort, lecturers are not so inclined to help. Generally, I think UWE is underrated as it is not a 'traditional' university, however they are very much up and coming.

Journalism BA (Hons)

UWE is great if you choose the right place to live. I made the mistake of living in Fishponds at the Glenside campus in first year which is very far out of the city centre (where all the cool stuff is going down). Now I am in my 2nd year I can appreciate Bristol a lot more as I live more central. My Journalism course is situated at Bower Ashton campus, this campus is in a beautiful location and is accessible by walking from Clifton (parts), Hotwells and Bedminster. The teaching on my course is brilliant as the staff/lecturers really care about how well you do and whether or not you take anything useful away from the class you have been to. They are all interesting people and are very experienced in their teaching field. I don't visit Frenchay much but the student union there is good for a cheap and easy night especially if you live there or near to it, they have regular events and serve reasonably priced food! Bristol in general is a fantastic city for students, a place like no other. The variation of things to do here is just incredible, from the graffitied hippyness of Stokes Croft to the posh continental looking streets of Clifton. Here is a great blog to look at for a real feel of Bristol and what it has to offer. http://themajestyofsmallness.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/bristol-give-me-a-signal/

Reviewed: 25 October 2013