Bournemouth University

1,048 Bournemouth University reviews

Our collection of real, honest student reviews of unis and courses is the largest in the UK, and help you make well-informed decisions about your future. Student reviews also form the basis of our annual Whatuni Student Choice Awards(WUSCAs), which highlight great work carried out by institutions for their students.

• Bournemouth University
32440 reviews

Games Programming BSc (Hons)

Very nice place to study in, lots of activities to get involved in. The only downside is the campus and lecture halls feel more like a secondary school than a university. But overall great place, OK lecturers, some great and fantastic social LIFE

Reviewed: 20 November 2014

Computing BSc (Hons)

I've thoroughly enjoyed studying BSc (Hons) Computing at Bournemouth University. The lecturers are great; producing interesting lectures and generally being willing to help with any issues students may be having. The course covers a wide range of topics, some of which not covered at over universities, which makes graduates more appealing to companies post-graduation. The university and course has excellent links with industry, with a placements advisors who can help students achieve placements at some of the biggest companies in the world. Thanks to the skills I've gained from the course and the experiences I gained on placement, I've secured a post-grad role at one of the world's largest banks. I would recommend the university to anyone; the lectures and facilities are great, the university is vibrant, and Bournemouth is a great place to be a student.

Reviewed: 14 September 2014

Paramedic Science BSc

Paramedic Science Before starting the course I was very enthusiastic and excited about being a Paramedic but the sheer politics and stress of the course has made me question whether I really want to do this. The lecturers can't agree on anything and its fairly standard to have them in a separate room arguing and shouting over what should be taught. There are timetables set out but they can change at a moments notice and mean next to nothing. Coming from a good college where the teachers knew everything you could ever need to know (and more!) and then going to Bournemouth University where they couldn't organise a drink up in a brewery is the most soul destroying thing to do. I've literally never felt so demoralised. There are students who have made this a success but around a third of my class have left or have not finished the course due to systematic failings on the universities part. They failed to tell us that you have to pay £2,500 for a blue light driving course. It's near impossible to have a stable mentor as very few Paramedic's wants to work for Bournemouth University. (Paramedics seem to be happy working alongside Open University and Prometheus). We had one lecturer who had a lot of knowledge and experience. He changed the course in many ways which made it tolerable for us as students. However, one of the ways he changed the course wasn't done "according to policy" and as a result was disciplined for it. He subsequently resigned. Overall, 2 years of consistently poor performances by the teaching staff and university. If you want to study at Bournemouth University, be prepared for the most stressful 2 years of your life.

Reviewed: 05 August 2014
32440 reviews

Media Production BA (Hons)

Its such a great place

Reviewed: 21 June 2014

Law BA (Hons)

Around 60% of the lecturers are useless. I had to pay for a tutor outside of the uni on top of the £8600 I pay per year to learn certain subjects. I am at end of second year and my Law teacher never turns up and cancels within an hour before the lecture is due to begin.

Reviewed: 16 May 2014
32440 reviews

Media Production BA (Hons)

university it absolutely shocking, I was told the media school is the best in the country but my course has been so bad over half the students have left or switched courses. Despite this being the first year for my particular course - Media Production - we are still paying £9000 a year, we do not have a separate room for editing or printing etc, and despite high levels of complaints the university refuses to do anything about it. The grade boundaries for this course were originally 360 ucas points, which was then brought down to 340, which translates roughly as ABB, despite working ridiculously hard throughout my sixth form and A Level years to get in to this university, students who received grades as low as BCC were allowed on the course. I, and many others, were forced to work with people who not only are extremely below our grade boundaries but also do no work and leach off other people's grades, also bringing down ours. The course is 100% coursework, however none of it is externally marked and I personally have found marking is biased in the way of attendance rather than the actual quality of people's work. As well as this the accommodation for this university is shocking. They guarantee accommodation for all first years, however what they don't tell you is that if you are unlucky you are placed in accommodation such as in Corfe House (or Unilet), about 200-300 pupils in their first year end up here. Buses come once an hour to get into university that is half an hour away, whereas buses for other accommodations come every five minutes despite it only being a five minute walk for them to get home. As well as this the buses into Bournemouth to the other halls take an hour and a taxi costs £20 to get home. There are almost never any free computers at the uni.

Reviewed: 05 May 2014
32440 reviews

Public Relations BA (Hons)

I challenge you to find someone at Bournemouth that doesn't love it. The campus has such a chilled, cool atmosphere compared to any other uni I visited and it's really nice not living on campus. All the accommodation (pretty much) is a 5 min walk from the town center with the exception of the student village on campus which tends to be for those slightly older, has already done a bit of uni somewhere and doesn't want the hectic-ness of halls, and Corfe halls which are in Poole and quite a long treck to uni and to town so really wouldn't recommend living there if you like the idea of a 'uni' atmosphere! Courses and lecturers all vary too much to really give much info on but the rooms and theaters for teaching are all really nice, spacious and modern. On campus there's 2 costa coffees, a starbucks, student shop which has everything from sandwiches to uni clothes to paper, dylans which is the bar/hot food and place upstairs which is so so good, and other food outlets in the canteen. Each of the clubs in the town has a different student night and each is quite different which is nice. Good shops in town and good links to castlepoint shopping centre which isn't too far away, the hospitals, southampton and nearby areas like weymouth. In all there's no where else that competes with bournemouth and to top it off you're right on the beach :)

Reviewed: 30 April 2014
32440 reviews

I've met some really great friends here, the people at BU are generally a great bunch of people. I'm doing a degree is Psychology and the tutors we have a really friendly and easy to talk with, as well as being good at what they do. The SU bar hold some great nights which are also really cheap. The town centre iself is great for shopping and the nightlife is pretty good too - as well as the beach being awesome in the summer :) Overall, Bournemouth uni has been great so far so definitely consider it!

Reviewed: 13 November 2013
32440 reviews

The University is expanding and modernising, with a growing student union for students to have their say! Psychology is great with some top lectures at the moment, and specialised equipment perfect for dissertation work! Plus, Bournemouth is a lovely town, especially in the summer and winter months. The beach can speak for itself and during the Christmas period, stalls are set up in the town center, with loads of things going on.

Reviewed: 13 November 2013