Bournemouth University

1,048 Bournemouth University reviews

Our collection of real, honest student reviews of unis and courses is the largest in the UK, and help you make well-informed decisions about your future. Student reviews also form the basis of our annual Whatuni Student Choice Awards(WUSCAs), which highlight great work carried out by institutions for their students.

• Bournemouth University
CT
Ciara Turk
FIRST YEAR

Forensic Science BSc (Hons)

Beautiful modern buildings, but it’s off putting by the main building

Reviewed: 19 March 2022
LB
Lydia Bossons
SECOND YEAR

Archaeology and Anthropology BA (Hons)

Best things for me is the student support. I was recently diagnosed with Asperger’s and the university have been incredibly supportive and helpful throughout the entire process, the ALS department are amazing. The campus is really nice and there are plenty of quiet places to study and places to chat and hang out too.

Reviewed: 18 March 2022
DI
Daniela Ingles
FIRST YEAR

Communication & Media BA (Hons)

Best aspect is the opportunity to be a better student as an international student and worst aspects is definitely the hard work

Reviewed: 17 March 2022
Rushan
THIRD YEAR

PhD - Faculty of Science & Technology

It is fun and all the facilities are brilliant!

Reviewed: 17 March 2022
CM
Charlotte Mackenzie
FIRST YEAR

Computer Animation Art & Design BA (Hons)

The facilities are basic and there is nothing available for printing. The uni puts on some events but it is limited for those who do not make friends easily and the mental health resources are not readily available or easy to find and are limited. The beach is nice and there is some shopping but you may have to travel a bit for some shops. The teachers are a mixed bag, some are difficult to talk to while others are friendly and welcoming. The animation course is very good and I like the fact that there are speakers every Friday.

MD
Matt Dominey
FOURTH YEAR+

Software Engineering BSc (Hons)

Best place to study because of some lecturers and the location being near the beach since I’m a surfer and a sucker for cycling on the promenade. The facilities for my degree could be improved, more funding is needed for some of the clubs and societies as well as support for the committees would be appreciated, some lecturers are mediocre and clearly copy teaching material from other sources without reference on occasion.

Callum
FOURTH YEAR+

Honest review. As a location, Bournemouth is second to none. Usually sunny and warm, the local community vibes are friendly and safe, even more so in the residential areas that most 2nd and 3rd year's chose to live such as Winton and Charminster. Public transport is standard for a town of its size, with enough affordable supermarkets about the place (Lidl, Asda etc.) for your weekly shop. With the 5th best beach in Europe, the area provides an exceptional place for you to chill with your mates, hang out with societies or try a new sport - perfect for a surf, skate or early morning run. There is almost definitely a club or society that you will be interested in joining! In the summer there are some good festivals such as our Summer Ball, or even the Bournemouth Air Festival. In the winter, there is an ice rink at the gardens near the beach. The nightlife scene is great too as this is a University town. The Old Fire Station (the SU's nightclub) hosts some decent events, but there's plenty of options of places to go with the local bars and clubs. The University facilities range between old blocks with pretty average computers and classrooms to much newer, well furbished buildings such as Poole Gateway Building, which is open 24/7. Canteen food can be pretty expensive. First year halls quality varies drastically, however most are located not far from the town centre. Cannot recommend choosing Lyme Regis House as the building quality and management was awful, however your flatmates you meet will likely be legends and make it worth it. If your course has a placement year, can definitely recommend doing one! Attaining one will be 100% down to you and your effort as the Uni does not hold your hand through this process. Career prospects seem good across the board. Overall, awesome uni location, decent education, and great Uni experience.

DS
Divya Soburrun Bheekee
SECOND YEAR

MSc Cyber Security & Human Factors

I started the course during lockdown, and finishing the course with classes being conducted face-to-face. This course has been great for me. I had a good experience with lecturers (who are always willing to help), lecture theatres, labs (both online and offline). Coming from a law background, I think that MSc Cyber security and human factors was very insightful. I learnt a lot in terms of the content of the area, technical skills and writing skills. And academically, I have done well. I was looking for a challenge and the course meets my expectation. Bournemouth is a nice place, to which Bournemouth University (BU) is an asset. The peaceful atmosphere, beautiful seaside and wonderful scenery, all inspire you to do your best, whether it is academically or personally. I feel honoured to have been at BU. The friends made on the course was made online (through their Facebook page and others at the start of the course through emails and group discussion). As we moved to face-to-face, I was happy to meet some of my friends while I am yet to meet others. As I am currently doing my project, I have not met all my friends, although we are in touch. I am hopeful to meet all my friends and lecturers by graduation. All in all, I have had a very good experience studying at BU. Only one critique I have is that for Term 2, when BU went face-to-face teaching and BU abruptly asking all student to come (from wherever they were) to attend physical classes. I think the transition could have been more smoothly by incorporating online and face-to-face learning. That said, I was grateful that lectures were recorded and made available online. However, labs were not online at all. I understand that labs cannot be recorded, but BU could have made labs available through a live link for students willing (but unable to attend) to join the class and enhance their learning. This should have been done at a management level. Now that everything is back to normal, this is no longer an issue. But I would like the University to consider this point for the benefit of its students for the future. Maybe even helping distance learning students on the course. What an asset will that be!

EG
Emily Greaves
FIRST YEAR

Great university and the staff here are all lovely. Support could be slightly better and feel as though they could do more for students struggling with mental health, but overall great uni and I love it here.

BB
Bethany Barnett
FIRST YEAR

Paramedic Science BSc (Hons)

New healthcare building contains great equipment and facilities. Talbot campus some space away but main campus with many facilities and space for students. Great location, close to the beach and in the centre of a busy town. The university could be better at communication on the whole but I'm sure this is faculty related and admission/interview communication was efficient and informative.