Aston University, Birmingham

1,047 Aston University, Birmingham reviews

Our collection of real, honest student reviews of unis and courses is the largest in the UK, and help you make well-informed decisions about your future. Student reviews also form the basis of our annual Whatuni Student Choice Awards(WUSCAs), which highlight great work carried out by institutions for their students.

• Aston University, Birmingham
NG
Nshira Ghartey

International Relations and Global Governance MA

Everything about Aston University is great. The facilities, the staff, the location is a perfect one for students, the lecturers go above and beyond and I like how there is consistent student support especially for international students. I really love the atmosphere and ambiance on campus- it's just lovely and calm. Above all, the students' union is just the best. The only improvement I would like to see is that this kind of professionalism and classy and homey nature be maintained. It's what makes us boast of the university and I'm happy to be part of the Aston family.

SH
Seyed Hamid Reza Khorasani

Data Analytics MSc

- Clear procedure for every thing, specially for international student - Everything can be considered by mail and you get your answer quickly - Before coming here I took a lot of useful information such as visa advise, connection with specific mentor in my field - I'm happy with facilities and education technology

SH
Sydney Holt
SECOND YEAR

International Business and Management BSc (Hons)

The new study area in the university has been extremely beneficial, being very convenient with lots of facilities. Many of my lectures have been very helpful and always there to provide additional support and advice in all aspects of my university life. One thing I feel that could be improved is the amount of focus placed upon student sports groups. When arriving at the university I expected there to be a larger variety of societies and ability to make new friends through these activities. I feel that more time spent into developing these societies would improve the university experience of new students.

Isha
FIRST YEAR

Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)

It’s amazing for a lot of reason the facilities that we have the opportunity to work with is truly amazing However student support could expand and help students more

AS
Ayfah Sabir

Pharmacy MPharm (Hons)

The best aspects are the support they offer in both learning and wellbeing. Also the vast majority of societies they provide. I’ve had so much fun being part of societies this year. Also the student union is a great place to study or even chill. The yummy food they provide there & the fun games there too. The quality of learning is amazing & the workshops & practicals are so fun and interesting. There’s nothing really to say for improvement. I’m very happy with this university,

SV
Sanha Vaswani
SECOND YEAR

Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)

Best aspects are that the staff respond quickly and efficiently and there is a lot of student support available. One aspect to improve would be the to improve the appearance of the main building.

AC
Amy C

Pharmacy MPharm (Hons)

Great facilities to use, pretty new and easy to get to ( short walk from city centre). In terms of course support and guidance, I feel like it’s very poor. Always feeling very overwhelmed with the amount of work and not being told upcoming exams/important dates until very late or when asking questions, are being told off for asking questions ‘we should already know’ but the reason people ask these questions is because the info that is given, is never clear enough.

JA
Jesse Amponsah
FIRST YEAR

Business and Management BSc (Hons)

The overall look of the campus is very aesthetically pleasing, and the location of it isn’t too far from the main city centre so meeting with friends and other extra curricular activities some students may do directly after lectures and seminars isn’t hard to do at all. Teachers offer their support as much as they can, always advertising their out of lecture appointment times so students can get that 1-1 support they may need, teachers are very nice and try to make their lessons as active as possible, whether they’re lectures, seminars or webinars they try and get the class as interactive as possible with quizzes, debates etc which increases the chances of students remembering key information because they would’ve enjoyed themselves more once engulfed in a friendly but competitive atmosphere like an online quiz the lecturer may choose to do for the first or last 10 minutes of a lesson. There is a student Union for almost anything you can think of at Aston university, and I can tell the union leaders are picked thoroughly as there are always events which give the students time to relax and get away from the additional stress of deadlines and exams, on top of that they also hold events to help the younger students like the first years, with their courses and getting to grips with it, as university can take quite a while to adjust to the students unions/societies try and make their experience as exciting as possible right from the jump. In terms of facilities there isn’t much to negatively say about them at Aston university, there are multiple 4g AstroTurf pitches available to students everyday till late night for students, the booking system id genuinely quite easy for them too, the library is located just off centre campus and can easily be spotted from a distance, it contains two floors, each with their own sort of area, one being for quiet study with a vast load of computers as well as books for those who’d prefer reading , and the other but smaller section being somewhat a relaxing area or group study area with big bean bag seats for extra comfort for students, those are just two of the many facilities Aston have and two of the ones I’ve predominantly used throughout the year but there’s no doubt I will be utilising a few of the others before 1st year ends. If I had anything to say upon how Aston university could improve I’d say to put out more student surveys and encourage us to come forward more with improvements for the university.

MA
Maryam Ali
FIRST YEAR

Biomedical Engineering BEng (Hons)

The best aspect of Aston university is the approachable people available for support and approachable lecturers. Whenever you need anything you can just drop them a quick email and they’ll get back to you right away. Most lecture material can be found online which a great advantage when reviewing notes and lectures. The university could be improved by spreading out lectures more throughout the day to ensure students have more revision time in between lectures. Also, lecturers could provide a bit more support when it comes to exam preparation. Overall, there’s not much to say on how the university could be improved as it’s a good university 👍🏼

KR
Keeley Ryan

Law LLB LLB (Hons)

Aston university was my first choice university when I applied to universities through ucas. I knew that I wanted to go there as the university has such a homely feel to it and everyone is so welcoming. I love that the university actually has a campus and it feels like something you’d see on tv. The whole time I’ve been studying at Aston university I have felt safe, looked after and I have become more independent and confident. My course is amazing and very interesting, I love my tutors they have given me amazing support and I cannot wait to go into second year. This has by far been the best decision I have ever made. Some of the downsides to the university could be that I haven’t really connected much with the societies because I cannot really find much information.