The University of Reading is one of the UK's leading research-intensive universities and is in the top 1% worldwide. We offer an outstanding experience for all of our students – inspiring students academically and equipping everyone for their next step after graduation, whether it be work or further study.
We're a tight, bustling community where our students can make a big impact. We have high expectations of everyone, and help them reach their full potential.
We offer over 200 flexible courses, teaching of the highest calibre, and a multitude of opportunities, from studying abroad to learning languages to undertaking work placements.
People often comment on the friendly and vibrant atmosphere here at Reading. It’s a place to meet new people from around the world and to build friendships that last a lifetime. There is a huge range of societies, sports clubs and volunteering opportunities to get involved with, alongside a busy social calendar organised by Reading University Students’ Union. From the beautiful campus the town centre is only a short walk away, and London is just half an hour by train. The possibilities are limitless.
- In the top 1% of universities worldwide (Times Higher Education World Rankings 2013-14)
- 6 courses listed in the UK top 10 (Complete University Guide 2015)
- Over 150 years of history, with origins as a University of Oxford extension college
- 98% of research rated of international standing/quality (REF 2014)
- 30 minutes to central London and 40 minutes to Heathrow airport
- Our beautiful 130-hectare main campus, Whiteknights, has a Green Flag Award and was voted top campus space in the UK
About our students:
- 17,000 students from over 140 countries
- 89% student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2014)
- 94% of graduates in work or further study six months after graduating (Destination of Leavers from Higher Education Survey 2014
- 75% of graduates in professional or managerial jobs just six months after graduating - well above average
Your time at Reading:
- Over 200 courses to choose from, including many opportunities to combine subjects
- You’ll be taught by top academics with a rare passion for their subject
- 1-2-1 academic support
- Opportunities to study and work abroad
- Work placements and language learning for every student
- Jobshop for part-time jobs and professional careers advice, even after you graduate
- Over 100 societies and 50 sports clubs to join
- Great social life on campus and in Reading town, which is within walking distance, or take one of the buses from the Whiteknights campus, which run every seven minutes.
Reading the town
With a population of around 235,000, Reading itself is big enough to offer a wide range of shops, restaurants, sports venues and bars, but is still easy to navigate as you settle in. The town has a proud history of welcoming people from across the globe, and international students often comment on the warm atmosphere and multicultural vibe found here.
With two major shopping centres in the town centre – the Oracle and Broad Street Mall – you will find all of your favourite high street stores in Reading. Or if you’re looking for something a little more unusual, there are plenty of smaller independent shops waiting to be discovered in Reading’s many side streets and arcades.
Reading is packed with places to eat, and has plenty to satisfy every appetite and budget. The riverside area of the Oracle shopping centre is a buzzing destination in the evening, with a diverse mix of restaurants and bars overlooking the water, along with a 10-screen cinema.
Whatever you look for in a great night out, Reading has something for you: clubs, gigs and rock nights, live global music, salsa dancing and comedy nights across town. And of course, there’s a different student event every night of the week.