Bath Spa University is a 'teaching-led' university, which means that teaching students is given the highest priority. All other activities, such as research and links with business, are measured by their contribution to the quality of student teaching, to the student experience and to student employability. Based in the world heritage city of Bath, the university delivers academic programmes in creativity, culture, enterprise and education. Bath Spa University was designated a national centre for excellence in teaching and learning for subjects leading to employment in the creative industries.
Why Choose Bath Spa University?
- Over 160 years of traditional and success
- In the top 20 UK universities for student satisfaction (with an overall score of 89% in the National Student Survey, 2014)
- Excellent faculty members - Bath Spa scored 89% in satisfaction with teaching in the National Student Survey 2014
- Flexible courses
- A full complement of creative, cultural and humanities-based courses, alongside social sciences and sciences
- Great career preparation, with 93% of graduates in work or further study 6 months after graduation (DLHE, 2013)
- A caring ethos, with a wide range of support services available
- A strong sense of community as a relatively small university
- Historic campuses, with beautiful period buildings and a breathtaking backdrop
- State-of-the-art teaching facilities
- One of the safest places to study in the UK
To find out more about Bath Spa University, book onto an Open Day.The university has separate undergraduate and postgraduate Open Days, as well as teacher education events and guided campus tours, which is an opportunity to see the campus on a normal 'working day'.
Open Days are the best way for you to visit the university, as you will be able to meet with subject tutors and students and find out more about the course that you are interested in. However, if none of the Open Day dates are suitable, the university operates an open campus policy at Newton Park and welcomes visitors Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. Please note that the Sion Hill campus does not operate an open campus policy.
Alternatively, explore the university with the Virtual Open Day tool.
Facts and figures
- Five academic schools of study
- Two main campuses, one specialist postgraduate teaching centre and five further teaching sites in and around Bath.
- 'Outstanding' OFSTED rating for Initial Teacher Training (ITT) courses (primary, secondary and further education).
- Partnerships with over 600 schools in the region to deliver ITT programmes.
- 560 members of staff.
- Vice Chancellor is Professor Christina Slade.
- Ranked 33 out of 143 universities in the People and Planet Green League 2013 - 'First Class Honours'.
- 160 year history from the opening of the Bath School of Art in 1852.
- Top 20 university for student satisfaction (89% overall score in 2014).
- About 93% of graduates are in work or further study six months after graduation (2013).
Bath Spa University Careers helps students to develop their careers in a number of ways:
- Offering personalised careers advice
- Putting students in contact with employers through the mentoring programme
- Inviting employers onto campus to promote their opportunities
- Access to Bath Spa University's career resource library
- Coordinating tailored work placements
- Signposting students to advertised positions and providing up-to-date information about trends in the job market
- Advising on further study
Bath Spa University graduates go on to a variety of jobs, ranging from top graduate schemes in London and overseas, teaching, professional roles in the third sector, e-communications, filmmaking, marketing, finance, publishing, theatre, healthcare... The list is wide ranging and never ending!
There are over 800 bedrooms for first year students in the halls of residence on the main Newton Park campus, including 561 en-suite study bedrooms as part of a new housing development which opened in 2014. Students can also choose off campus halls (convenient for the city centre and Sion Hill campus) or in independent houses (reserved through a scheme with local landlords for Bath Spa University students). Prices for Bath Spa University managed halls range from around £113 to £160 for single rooms (less for shared rooms, of which there are a small number).
Fees and funding
Foundation degree courses start at £7500. BA/BSc degrees delivered at Weston College start at £7500 and the degrees delivered at Bath Spa University start at £9000. Means-tested bursaries are available (subject to eligibility).
Alex, Year 2, Study of Religions
Bath Spa University is friendly and the size of the student body means that I never feel alone because there is always someone nearby on campus that I know. When walking from the Students' Union to the library or to the canteen it is almost a certainty that I’ll bump into a familiar face! This is something I love because it means that friendships are wide and expand beyond the people that you live with and beyond people on your course and because there aren’t too many of us, students are often connected in their friendship groups which results in a really sociable atmosphere. I even go for coffee in between lectures with my tutors!
I really like the structure of my course because the first year enables you to study in breadth and then in the second year focus more deeply on some of the topics studied in the first year. I was enthralled by the prospect of going on a placement for a week in a religious community as part of the course in second year.
The Department has a friendly ethos, with lecturers who are genuinely willing their students to do well and continually supporting them along the way. It is with thanks to this course that my understanding of people in the world is ever expanding and even when the pressure is on with assignments due, I continue to brim with enthusiasm for the knowledge I gain.
Bath Spa University
Newton St Loe
Tel: +44 01225 875875